Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Feminine Instinct


Hmm, what does the (my) feminine instinct tells us, women to do? My eager deep-frying skill was put to the test last night.

It all started with a box of Fruit and Vegetable Batter Flour, egg yolk, cold water and a great pair of hands to mix the trio.


2 of 4 of the mixing ingredients: The Egg Yolk and Batter Flour.


Bananas (skin peeled, that is) were dipped into the batter meticulously with a pair of chopsticks, a pot of oil firing up at the same time beside me. Then, I professionally placed the dipped bananas into the oil. Sizzling, sizzling... the oil worked till the batter turned golden brown and crispy.

But of course, this was my FIRST ATTEMPT at frying Goreng Pisang, so the first 2 pieces of banana didn't turn out as expected. They were maybe over-cooked, soggy, out of shape and, quite honestly delicious. I felt a bead of sweat ran over my forehead (this is the truth). Deep-frying is a HOT job. Cooking is a HOT job. Fortunately, the later pieces of fried bananas turned out better than the first 2, but still not so perfectly well done. But I believe in the phrase 'Practise makes Perfect'.

Then, I dipped cut pieces of the ever-sticky Nian Gao into the batter, again meticulously done. I had a tough time cutting the Nian Gao, they kept sticking to the knife and my fingers. They'd also expanded in the hot oil and squeezed out of the batter, which caused them to stick to the pot. It serves them right if they were scalded from having contact with the hot pot.

Oh! My aunt was the one who inspired me to deep-fry Nian Gao, because I saw her deep-frying it before (which was a couple of years ago). So, I kind of followed into her footsteps. Hers was perfect though, unlike mine. But the taste of her deep-fried Nian Gao and mine are 99.9% similar.

My master piece:

Yeah, and so that's about it. My mum and I tasted it, they were alright. In fact, I think they are great. Don't you disagree with me, because you havn't had a taste of it.

Here's wishing everyone a Belated Merry Christmas and Belated Happy New Year.

Here's wishing everyone an Early Happy Chinese New Year!

Celebration outing with the girlies tomorrow!

Till then.



NGs:

Squishy Goreng Pisang and the remnants of naughty Nian Gao which ran out of the batter.

Family Combo!

No comments: